Thursday, May 19, 2016

More Writers Portrait Love: Nathaniel Hawthorne and Gertrude Stein

Here's a little catch up to what I am doing lately. I have been super busy getting ready for my my next SFEtsy art fair which is happening this Sunday , May 22nd at All Good Pizza in San Francisco.

Here are my latest Literary Portraits:

Say Hello to Ms. Gertrude Stein!

Gertrude has always been one of my literary heroes. Her writing about Paris is the early 1900's is incredible. It seems like you are right there in the thick of things. Who wouldn't want to live in that world filled with artists and writers? My favorite book is "The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas",  written in the point of view of her love, Alice.

To me she is a visionary, an  activist and a woman with a hell of a sense of humor.

Debra Styer, A Stein is a Stein is a Stein is a Stein, 2016

Gertrude Art Print

 “It takes a lot of time to be a genius. You have to sit around so much, doing nothing, really doing nothing.”
Gertrude Stein

Carl Van Vechten, Portrait of Gertrude Stein, 1934



Print available in the shop!



Here's a peek of the drawings of Gertrude and Nathaniel!

And now presenting...Mr. Nathaniel Hawthorne!

As a New Englander, Hawthorne is in my blood. I remember visiting the House of the Seven Gables in Salem Massachusetts as a kid and I was fascinated. Hawthorne is best know for writing the novel, "The Scarlett Letter",  a scathing look at life, love and religion in the Massachusetts. His work is known to be Dark Romantic. I am currently reading, "The Whole History of Grandfather's Chair" (written in 1840), which is a surprisingly funny and truly satisfies the history nerd in me.

Debra Styer, The House of the Seven Hawthornes, 2016

Nathaniel Hawthorn Portrait Framed
 “Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”
Nathaniel Hawthorne


Nathaniel Hawthorn Art Print

Nathaniel Hawthorne by Brady c. 1860
Now available in my Shop!

Right now I am working on a portrait of the wonderful writer Dorothy Parker, I will post her as soon as I can.

After that, who should I paint next? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...