Sunday, January 18, 2015

New Writers Portrait... William Shakespeare

Just a quick post to show off my latest writers portrait illustration, William Shakespeare! He was really fun to draw and it was great to break out of the Victorian era for a bit.


Debra Styer, Much Ado About Shakespeare, 2015


It is a special challenge to draw portraits of people before the invention of photography. All of the existing paintings of him done are so different. For reference, I used the younger Cobbe portrait from 1610,


and the more traditional Droeshout Portrait from 1622. I suppose I like the older version of Shakespeare myself. I think we all have a certain vision of writing legends in our minds. I hope I was able to capture a good creation of the Bard.


Of course, he is now available in the shop! Hope you like him!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...