Sunday, January 1, 2012

Here's to 2012! (January Meetup Goals)



Finding my balance...Tightrope Walker from Life Magazine
2011...What a year! This last few weeks have giving me time to really think about my goals, where I am and where I want to go with bluehour studio in the future. It has been an huge eye opening experience. Here is a bit of what I've learned...

To start off, it was a good year and I am pretty proud myself. I accomplished a lot. I started my Etsy shop. I think I found my creative voice and I made more art work in a year than I ever have since art school.  Most importantly, I have found my passion for illustration again (it was blocked by fear for a long time). All in all, I'm pretty happy about where I am heading as an artist but I still have a lot to learn.

So what is ahead for 2012? This is not a list of resolutions but more of a list of what I will be focusing on in the next year.
  1. Etsy...oh... Etsy you amaze me. There are so many possibilities within your pages. Honestly, I thought that it would be easier to make a living with it. I thought that once I opened my shop it would be like magic and the sales would just happen. This is not reality... Now my shop is open but I don't always understand how to get views. I need to figure out how to make sales. I have heard that the magic number of shop items is about 100. I have 30, there needs to be a lot more...and I need to create a bit of diversity in artwork. I need to create different sizes, subjects, stationary, and some illustrated jewelry...It is going to be a very busy year.
  2. And yes, although Etsy is great, I really want to focus on doing editorial work for non-profits, books and magazines. That will be the ideal. That is the dream...I hope I can make it happen this year. There will be a whole new learning curve about how to send my artwork to companies and publishers. But I am ready for it...
  3. Kick the last bit of fear to the curb. I need to start talking about my artwork more. I can't afford to be shy anymore. I want to get out there. That means bringing my artwork to local shows and galleries. I joined the SFEtsy team and they are opening my eyes to so many new opportunities. I'll probably start small but I would love to do about 3 or 4 shows this year. Anyone know of goods ones to start off with?
  4. Deal with money (and learn the ins and outs of running a successful business)...I know this is a boring subject but it is something I need to face as an artist. How do you truly support yourself? I need get myself out there in the world. I need to learn to advertise, facebook, twitter and blog more. Listen to all the marketing guru's. I need to get over the starving artist thing once and for all. Work a solid part time job too. 
  5. And the key to most of this...better time management. I need to get a good plan. Write daily to-do lists and finish them. So simple, yet so hard to do...Learn to see the big picture with my business.
  6. On a personal level, I need to journal more. Write out my thoughts and fears. I need to get out of the house more. Read some really good fiction and keep my imagination going always. Go for walks, make plans with friends and plan more mini vacations. Plan for a big vacation with my hubby in the next couple of years. Keep my exercise programs going (Damon & I are currently doing P90X, yikes what a workout). Oh...yeah meditate a bit daily.
So that's will be my 2012. It is going to be a really interesting year. I'm sure it will be an intense year. All the crazy politics around the world might get really serious. I'm trying to remain positive about the world around me. And keep looking at all the amazing things people are creating and get inspired by them.

How about you? What is the biggest thing you hope to accomplishing in 2012? What are you most afraid of? What are you most excited about? I'd love to hear about it.

Well, here's to a amazing 2012. It's going to be a hell of a year...

Here's to you and success in the new year!

What is the Meetup thing, you ask? It is a group of creatives that encourage each other each month to make and complete their goals. Join us...it is an amazing to watch the progress of others and yourself...
Contact Liz for more info here.


3 comments:

Amber said...

I have such huge problems dealing with the money side of things too. I am the total artist type who just wants things to fall into place without worrying about that nasty MONEY element. I would much rather live in a fantasy world where the business element didn't matter, but I agree, the time for NOT dealing w/ that is over. The fantasy world, sadly, doesn't exist! If you learn any tips you'd like to share, let me know :)

Unknown said...

Yeah Amber, if I figure something out I'll definitely tell you. It is pretty crazy, I'm not a good seller of myself but I need to be. And I kind of hate it. After I hit 40 this summer it really was a wake up call as far as seeing myself as a successful woman. I don't think it would be possible to go back to a silly 9-5 job now and that scares the hell out of me. So it is a bit of sink or swim this year. Hopefully it will all go in a positive way and I will figure it out.

Liz said...

Love your list Deb, and want to second (with my own voice) all the things that you brought up, most especially the part about kicking that last bit of fear to the curb around your work and putting it out there.

Me, I am wanting to look at some of the bigger, longer term goals in 2012 and make some better progress on them than I did in 2011. Staying focused on my own business and not getting so sidetracked by freelance jobs and the shorter term items that can suck all my time and energy and also trip me up time and time again.

So here's to an awesome 2012!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...