Monday, March 29, 2010

Learning to say...

                                  Victorian women fencing (from George Eastman House)

I found a very inspiring quote  by the artist Sol De Witt  in the book, "The Accidental Masterpiece On the Art of Life and Vice Versa" by Michael Kimmelman.  It sort of sums up my feeling about my life right now:


An open letter to fellow artists:


Learn to say "Fuck you" to the world once in a while, You have the right to. Just stop thinking, worrying, looking over your shoulder, wondering, doubting, fearing, hurting, hoping for some easy way out, struggling, gasping, confusing, itching, scratching, mumbling, humbling, grumbling, humbling, stumbling, rumbling, rambling, gambling, tumbling, scumbling, scrambling, hitching, hatching, bitching, moaning, groaning, honing, boning, horse-shitting, hair-splitting, nit-picking, piss-trickling, nose-sticking, ass-gouging, eyeball-poking, finger-pointing, alleyway-sneaking, long-waiting, small-stepping, evil-eyeing, back-scratching, searching, perching, besmirching, grinding grinding grinding away at yourself.  Stop it and just DO.


Sol Dewitt

Yep, I'm doing, TODAY. I'm working on some new paintings of monsters made with Glob. It is a new paint made with herbs and spices my friend Ashley created. I'll post em' when I'm done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this Debra! I love Sol LeWitt and especially this quote. What an excellent way to start the day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...