Sunday, July 6, 2014

An Anniversary: Celebrating Four Years as Bluehour Studio

I'm so happy to be celebrating my illustration career anniversary! It seems hard to believe it's already 4 years since I quit my job and founded bluehour studio. So much has happened in these last few years. And I am happy to say, I'm feeling pretty good about it all.
Feel like dancing?



I'm so happy to be celebrating my illustration career anniversary! It seems hard to believe it's already 4 years since I quit my job and founded bluehour studio. So much has happened in these last few years. And I am happy to say, I'm feeling pretty good about it all.

Bluehour Studio started as a dream. I wasn't sure how to go about starting an career in illustration. Especially since, it had been 15 years since I graduated from art school. (Yikes, what the hell had I been doing all my life?) I was so scared to take a chance but equally scared if I didn't. In all honesty, I knew that I had to make the jump and quit my dead end job selling tickets and memberships at a museum or I would just let the artist dream fade away...

So on July 1st 2010, I quit my day job not knowing what I was going to do. And I'm not going to lie, it was really hard. There were a lot of tears. It took about a year to find some sort of direction. I tried new things, stumbled a bit and procrastinated a lot. I made so many lists and goals. I failed and was lost amongst a sea of millions of other hopeful artists, just trying to be found.

But, I think the most important thing I did was start my Etsy shop. Finally, I was able to show my work to the world. I joined my local Etsy team, SFEtsy, and got to meet some amazingly supportive and like minded folks. Through them, I battled my shyness and lack of confidence, and starting doing craft shows and group art shows. I was able to get myself out there and in a few local shops and online.

Nothing is perfect, I still need to figure out how to make a living with my art and being a resident of San Francisco makes it even harder. So, in order to make ends meet, I started working for my husband's  his sign shop in May and am feeling much better about my world.

As you may know, I've also been collaborating on my first book. It is a true learning experience and I will be so happy share it all with you when it's done. It should be published and out in the world by early 2015.

Cheers to the first 4 years!!! Here's to the next!
 
In other news...

I am the July featured artist at Farley's Coffee on Potrero Hill in San Francisco. There are 13 new paintings up. Stop by an see the show!

Farley's Coffee
1315 18th St
San Francisco, CA

Laura, age 8, hopeful rider of the Orphan Train

Owen, age 27, San Francisco Gold Miner

Selina, 18 months, hoping for a family to love her

So now I must ask, what are you celebrating this summer?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...